Thursday, October 18, 2007

River of Ice: Franz Josef Glacier

The main attraction in Franz Josef is, of course, the Franz Josef Glacier. When I went to sign up, the girl explained the trip to me - what equipment would be provided, what I am expected to bring, and the conditions I am expected to encounter. She asked if I had any pre-existing injuries. I told her about my knee. She said if I can’t make it down the mountain, I’d have to pay to have someone come get me - $500-900, she said. I said “I will make it down!” I was speaking with a couple guys at the hostel. They had done the glacier before and said that if I could do the Tongariro Crossing, I could do this.

I reported at 9:15, as required. They gave me a sheet of paper with the usual disclaimer - I recognize the a glacier is an unstable environment, I can die and it's not their fault - even if they throw me over the edge, blah, blah, blah… I also had to indicate on the sheet any pre-existing injuries or medical conditions and sign. I was given a pair of over trousers, boots and socks, talons, mits and a hat, and a rain jacket.

We loaded on to the bus for the 10 minute drive. There was a pathway that led to the mostly dry river bed. From there we could see the glacier. On of the guides asked how far we think it is to the glacier. He said most people think it is just about 500m, but it more than 2.5 km. So we had about a 45 minute walk before we got to the terminal wall.

At this point they showed us how to put on the talons on the boots. Without these, we would be slipping a sliding on the ice and probably end up dead. The broke us up into 4 smaller groups, with those who think they were more fit in groups 1 & 2. And those less fit in groups 3 & 4. I was in group 3.

Climbing the glacier was easy for two reasons. The talons really made walking on ice effortless. Also, the guides had cut nice little steps into the ice for us to climb the steep parts. At locations where they felt there was some danger of us slipping or falling, they installed ropes for us to hold on to.

Close to the highest part of our hike, we passed thru a very narrow section with really blue walls. I asked someone to take my picture, and he dropped my camera into some water. This, unfortunately, had a damping effect on the day for me. Now, instead of this hike costing $130, it will cost more like $430, as I will now have to replace the camera. But I know now, by learning the hard way, not to trust anyone to handle my things.

Coming down was surprisingly easy. I was worried about the steps cut in the ice and the effect it would have on my knee. But I never experienced any soreness or pain. There was only one location where I was a little scared. Immediately after passing thru a narrow passage, we came to some steps on a very steep slope. With the talons on the boots, there was little chance that I would have slipped, and I descended with little difficulty.

When we got back down off the ice, I told the guide that that was easy. We should do it again - without the steps. On the walk back across the river bed, the only thing on my mind was my camera. Would I be able to get the pictures off of the SD card? Would the camera work fine when it is dried? Will it still take pictures even though the display is not working? Or is it completely dead?

On the bus ride, I tried to recall the beautiful scenery to remind myself that it was a great hike. But I couldn’t take my mind off how much it will cost to replace the camera. I sure hope I can get some of those pictures off the SD card. Or all I’ll remember about this hike is the broken camera.
---
I was able to retrieve all the photos off of the SD card. The display is shot, but I can still take pictures using the viewfinder. Without the display, I can not change any settings or use any of the camera’s many features. I’ll continue to use it, and wait until I am in Asia to buy a new camera. Everyone says electronics are very inexpensive in Asia.

Within two days, I recovered from this mishap. I no longer harbor ill feelings toward this unknown person who dropped my camera. And I do not wish him an untimely death.

:-)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamile,
I got your info this morning from your mom via mine. Have fun and those of us less adventurous will happily live through you!!!

Take Care

Your Cousin Lisa

Jamile said...

Hey Lisa,
Don't live thru me. Get up and go do something adventurous!! Yeah, I know, you have kids....