Friday, June 19, 2009

India: Images 81

Shanti Stupa has images from the life of the Buddha.
One of the images, Defeating the Devils.
After visiting Shanti Stupa, which can be seen on the right of the photo, I climbed a barren rocky hill and sat for a while. I am amazed that they can coax life out of the desert.
Apparently, the government raised some tax or the other, so the people went on strike. All businesses were shut for 3 or 4 days. The only places open were trekking companies and internet cafes. But even they had to scramble to close up shop when the people came along to break the windows of any business that was open. That's what this crowd was about. I kept my distance. Then I would edge a little closer. The people would start to run, so I'd run. Then I'd edge a little closer then run when stones started flying. At the very left of the photo, there is a rooftop restaurant. They would let me in and cook food for me. But I had to hide to be sure no one would see me eating.
Images from one alley during and after the strike.

No comments: