Friday, June 19, 2009

India: Images 76

Overlooking Srinagar is Shankaracharya Mandir. This temple predates the Islamic invasion by 1000 years. There is heavy security around it. After hiking 1.5 hours up the hill (without eating first), I found out that cameras, mobile phone & all electronic devices are not allowed. I had 2 cameras, a mobile phone, an mp3 player & a GPS unit. I couldn't visit the temple. That's when I decided to leave Srinagar.

It takes 2 days to travel by bus from Srinagar to Leh. This road, which is closed in the winter, takes you from the green forests of the Kashmir Valley, over the snowy 3529m mountain pass, Zoji La, dangerously close to the Pakistani line of control at Kargil, over the 4147m mountain pass, Fotu La, into the barren desert of Ladakh, with its improbable patches of green. I was not lucky enough to get a window seat, so my photos were taken through the dirty bus window.
One of the views while still in the Kashmir Valley.
Another view in the Kashmir Valley.
No longer in the valley.

No comments: