
I had to opportunity to chat with Muhammed Michael, founder & chairman of the International Islamic Information & Daawah Centre in Kota Bharu, and to visit the mosque with him to observe the mid-day prayers. While we talked about a number of things, including US politics, the following are answers to questions I asked specifically for inclusion in my blog.
Name: Muhammad Michael
Original Name: Michael Boateng
Birthplace: Asamng, Ghana
Family: 3 brothers, 1 sister (deceased), 1 wife, 2 sons, 0 daughters
Age converted to Islam: 33 (21 years ago)
Why did you convert to Islam?
Because Muhammad gets very emotional when telling about his convertion, I decided to use two quotes from a booklet about his conversion and work in Malaysia, rather than put him thru the emotional stress.
“My conversion to Islam cannot be attributed to any other cause or reason rather than the gracious direction of Allah (SWT). I converted to Islam through inspiration not by force, not by marriage nor by money as some people use to think. I converted by my won will.”
“I am very happy and grateful to Allah (SWT) for choosing me to be amoung His servants. The brotherhood of Islam, regardless of race, colour or country of origin, is themain thing that drew me towards Islam. Alhamdulillah! Praise be to Allah the most Merciful.”
-My Journey to Islam & the Aftermath
It was chosen by the Muslim brothers in Bangkok when I converted.
Why did you choose to live in Kota Bharu, Malaysia?
The brothers in Bangkok suggested that I move here. Kota Bharu has the highest concentration of Malay Muslims in Malaysia.
What kind of work do you do?
I was a seaman prior to my convertion. Afterward I was a trader. Now I am a missionary.
What is your favorite surah in the Qur’an?
YaSin, because it was the second surah I memorized and I feel committed to read it everyday.
What do you think is your greatest accomplishment?
Building a mosque in my hometown in Ghana.
How would you best respond to someone who says Islam is a violent religion?
I would try to correct the miscomception by giving the proper message from the Qur’an. That is the only way to make people understand what Islam is about, a peaceful religion.
How would you treat someone who is from a different sect of Islam?
I will treat any Muslim the same. Anyone who says the Shahada is a Muslim.
What about someone who is not a Muslim?
I treat non-muslims just like a Muslim brother. Because we are all created by one god. The differences in religion or color does not matter.
What about someone who does not believe in any God?
I would still treat him like a brother, but try to guide him to understand that there is one god.
How does the Qur’an say you should treat such persons?
The Qur’an does not emphasize any kind of treatment between a muslim and a nonbeliever.
Do you think there will be another prophet or messenger after Muhammed, with new guidance for the modern age or is the Qur’an the final message from Allah?
The Qur’an is the final message and there will be no other prophet after Muhammad.

No comments:
Post a Comment