Thursday, November 12, 2009

Verona Euritta Henry Smith

Verona Euritta Henry Smith, 6/23/1939 to 11/07/2009, known to many as Miss Smith, the tough math teacher. Known to me simply as Mammy.

My mother loved flowers. For many years, she was exclusively a rose person. I remember when I was in high school, at one point she had around 100 rose bushes. Then she started rooting new ones by the dozen.

Over the years, her focus shifted from roses to carnations to orchids. I decided to give her a surprise. I told her that I would take her somewhere but would not tell her where. After a 4-hour drive, she found out that I had taken her to an orchid farm. Acres and acres of orchids. She was like a child in a toy store.

It was interesting to watch her pack the orchids in her suitcase. But then she was no stranger to packing unusual objects in her suitcase. One year, there was the marble table top. Another year, there was the chain saw.

I last saw my mother in September 2007 before I set off on my travels. She was the first person to know of my plans to go traveling. And she said that if she were younger, she would have gone with me. I had hoped that next year she could join me for a couple weeks to experience some of the adventure.
I knew when I left, that there was the possibility that someone in the family, maybe me, that someone could pass away before I return. But when I spoke with my mother last Wednesday, just three days before...

Many of her orchids had died. And she talked about going back to the orchid farm to buy replacements. She had just fixed the leaking tank that had caused the cistern to run dry...

We didn't know we were having our last conversation. I wish I had told her I love her. I wish I had said the words “I love you” many more times in the last 37 years.

Last Saturday night, I was at a friend's home in Istanbul, Turkey. At the time, I was unaware of the news. My friend wanted to hear me play my flute. Of all the songs I could have played, I played:
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child
A long way from home
A long way from home
The next day, I discovered how true that was. I miss her already.

My mother was a strong woman. In 1989, just a few weeks after we lost my father, my mother and I survived Hurricane Hugo, huddled under a table while the roof of the house was blown off. But she didn't just survive. She prospered – for 20 more years!

She often quoted Psalm 90:10. The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. She was 70.

8 comments:

Mark Pittman said...

Jamile,

I am so sorry for your loss. After reading this post, I was saddened even more. It is obvious how much you loved her. Aside from your post, throughout the years that I have known you, I have constantly heard you talk about her. From the things she had in her suitcase, to the surviving Hurricane Hugo, to coming to your house in South Bend and baking up a storm (including the awesome Guava Tarts). I know you wish you could have said I love you just once more. But if as a friend, I can tell you loved her, I am certain that she knew you loved her. My prayers are with you my friend and I mourn with you as well. God bless Jamile.

Mark Pittman

Thorsten said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you're doing well. Strength and love to you and those you love (and who loved her). Thorsten

Anonymous said...

Jamile,
First, please accept my deepest condolences. Mrs. Smith was indeed a tough math teacher. Although she was tough in the classroom, she was sweet outside. We still laugh about what she would say when we didn't pay attention and then had the nerve to tell her we didn't understand; "yo dum, s'chupid, or retarded?" Because of her love for math and teaching, I was able to get through college (because after 8th grade math...hnmnm). Let me assure you that she knew you loved her. She was proud of you and often spoke of you, Pierre and Maurille. It will take some time to get use to seeing your Aunts and not see her right there. She was always supportive of me and made it known. She will be missed.

Lisa Charles

melissa said...

Hi Jamile,

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with the entire family. "Miss Smith" was truly a special person. I hadn't spoken to her in a while because she, in her words, "didn't like talking to machines and I was never at home", so she'd rarely leave messages. When my parents moved from St. Croix to Zimbabwe, she promised my mom that she (Mrs. Smith) would keep in touch with each of my mom's children, and she was true to her word. Every now and then, we'd get a call - usually early on a Sabbath morning - checking in on us.

I pray that God will give you all peace and strength during this period of grief and keep you focused on the hope that we will see her again.

Melissa Blakeney Andrews

Molly said...

Jamile, I'm not very good at this, but I wanted you to know that you and your brothers are in my prayers. Also, that I am so sorry about your loss. I know you were very close and it must be so difficult.

Much love to you and your family during this time.

Molly

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever met you, but your mother was one of my greatest teachers. Her classes were hard and she was a "mean" teacher who I respected very much. Because of her and other teachers just like her, I ended up graduating college with a BS in math and then went on to grad school.

She had a HUGE impact on my life. I'm sorry to hear that she's gone. She was a wonderful lady and an extremely good teacher.

djmgoblue said...

Jamile,

So saddend to hear about the passing of Mrs. Smith. She will be missed but mostly remembered for her contributions in education and teaching many of us the fundamentals of math and V.I. History. I learned alot from her.
Stay encouraged, and let us look forward to the soon return of Christ.

I commend you in taking time to travel and experience the world. You gain more by traveling than by just sitting in a class room. That's why I chose the field I'm in.

God Bless,
John Logan

Unknown said...

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Much Strength. I must say that I was a student in her math class and she was the most strict yet nicest most down-to-earth teacher I can remember. May she rest in peace. Jamile, I am almost certain that your mom knew that you loved her dearly. She always knew everything. Your mom always talked about her boys and she knew that you all had a special bond even though she was a strict woman. Once again, my condolences..she will be missed but NEVER forgotten!!