Monday, August 25, 2008

Robbed in Ha Noi!

I had been warned about Viet Nam months ago. They said that if you survive Thailand, Viet Nam will be the place you lose everything. I had been in Viet Nam for over a month, with no problem. But within a few hours of setting foot in Ha Noi, it happened.

The day started out badly. I arrived in Ha Noi, about 7am, after a 1.5 day bus ride from Nha Trang. There had been a 4-5 hour stop over in Hue the day before, and while there I inquired about where in Ha Noi I will be dropped off. They told me, on Hai Ba Trung, and showed it to me on the map. This is good, I thought, just a couple blocks away from the guesthouses.

But when I arrived in Ha Noi, they did not drop me there. They dropped me off on some small street, 2 km away, and would not tell me where I was. So there I was, surrounded by motorbike & taxi drivers, being offered rides into town. But when I'm upset, I refuse to spend money. So I was determined to walk.

After heading off in the wrong direction, I soon figured out where I was, and made it into the center of town, about 1.5 hours later, completely drenched with sweat. But I had cleared my head and was no longer upset. After checking into a hotel and taking a shower, I went for a walk around town.

Even though I do not like markets, I wandered into Dong Xuan Market. It was hot, crowded and filled with stuff I don't want to buy. I was in there for probably one minute. But while I was there, two women bumped into me, one on each side, an extended bump. I immediately checked my pockets for my wallet and camera. There were still there. I turned around and left the market.

It was not until I returned to my room, that I realized my little Maglite flashlight was missing from the side pocket of my backpack. Ok..., so it is not as big a deal as if I had lost my money, credit cards or passport. But still, I was robbed in Ha Noi! But by whom?

It could have been those two women. Perhaps, if I go back to the market tomorrow, I could buy back my flashlight from them. But it also could have been the two guys I asked for the location of a gym. They were laughing as I walked away, and there was no gym where they sent me. Or it could have been the motor bike & taxi drivers.

But one thing is clear. I need to be more careful. I should keep nothing of value in the pockets of my backpack. And I should keep my backpack on my person and locked at all times. Also, I should go back to wearing the security pouch under my clothes, rather than keeping my wallet in my pocket. Hopefully, I won't get robbed again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamile, sorry to hear that you got robbed, but I'm glad it was only your flashlight.
Maybe it helps to know that I've been to Hanoi many times and nothing bad ever happened to me - so I think you getting robbed was just an unfortunate bit of bad luck.
Hope things will go well for the rest of your trip.
Thorsten
P.S.: Try out Cha Ca La Vong in the old town for a great meal.
http://tocologne.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/hot-dinner-in-hanoi/

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamile- Sorry you got robbed. Thankfully, it was nothing really valuable and you didn't get hurt--
Be careful out there-- "P"-- STX

Anonymous said...

Jamile, I am just grateful that you didn't get hurt. Sounds like you are having an awesome adventure. Barb@INDOT

Kevin Luu said...

jamile,

bummer that had to happen to you. all we tourist want to do is enjoy the food and culture, why they have to be hatin'?

Anyway, the security pouche beneath the clothing sounds like a good idea. It's better to be safe than sorry.

i'm heading out to thailand/cambodia/vietnam in November so i'm reading as many blogs concerning southeast travels as possible.

take it easy,

-kevin